Saturday, January 29, 2011

Vegan Pizza!

People tend to turn the other way when you say "cheese-less pizza" but I promise you, if you try it just once you will really enjoy it. You can actually taste the vegetables rather than all that cheese... vegetables have amazing flavor!

Saying this, I have never ever in my life been the person to have to "choke down" a vegetable. I've never met a vegetable I didn't absolutely love... and then came kale.

Kale is an amazing source of vitamins and it's at peak during winter, so its really a staple this time of year. However I find myself eating around it in my meals.. or finding aways to "drown out" the taste. Its strange for me to have to acquire a taste for a vegetable as I have always been the one who wants veggies over sweets (most days!). I eat tomatoes like people eat chips (mmmm cherry tomatoes come back in season quickkk I miss you).. 85% of my groceries are vegetables every week- I truly love them. But I can not bring myself to even like kale. I am hoping, praying, wishing that it is just the ways I've been preparing it. As it is 5am & I have been awake since 3:30 & can not sleep for the life of me.. I've been up googling kale. This is what normal 20-somethings do early Saturday morning right?

Apparently alot of people agree with me that kale has a very bitter taste to it, however, it is claimed to be so bitter because it has so many vitamins in it. As somebody who has struggled with iron issues, I really can not afford to dislike a vegetable so good for me! It literally is going to eat away at me until I find a way to enjoy it - the non-wrinkling non-pathetic looking veggies are sparse these chilly months, I want to be able to take advantage of the fresh ones! There appears to be many methods to cooking, steaming, preparing kale so I really hope I can find one that works for me.

Anyway.. on to the food!



YUMMMMMM!

This was my first pizza with potato on it & it was AMAZING!! I used a whole wheat crust, threw on some tomato sauce, added onion- garlic- green peppers- potatoes{I boiled the potatoes for a little bit and then chopped them up on the pizza.}- kale- & some italian seasoning, baked for 10 mins and wa-la! This is a delicious meal that can be made in literally 20 minutes prep to sit down. Perfect for those lazy nights that you spend curled up on your couch watching Hoarders reruns & don't want to miss much by being in the kitchen........

No comments:

Post a Comment